Monday, January 22, 2007

Here's a hint: it's not about abortion.

OK. I subbed a sweet little computer class today which means the 11th/12th graders didn't do shit but look stuff up on the internet. What did I do? I announced the folllowing: "What you're supposed to be doing is" blah blah blah. I also read more than half of Hemingway's The Garden of Eden. Good? Vintage Hemingway, whatever that means to you. To me, that means short stabbing sentences, subtext all over, and it lulls you into a complete giving over of yourself to the characters. Is he brilliant? No. Is he a genius? Yes. Do I love him so far? He'll make me.

This, by the way, is my first Hemingway novel ever read by me, and I love everything about it, except that it's (of course) posthumous. Shit. And to answer you're question, how do you know what "vintage Hemingway" is when this is your first novel? Dude, you need to shut your lips and learn: ever since "The Hills Are Like White Elephants" I get it. Duh.

2 comments:

Michaela said...

You should read "In Our Time." It's a collection of his early shorts -- everything is tight, minimalist and full of meaning. Absolutely freaking amazing.

Jeff said...

It's not?