Saturday, December 16, 2006

Since Pulp Fiction Is On

You know what I like about Quentin Tarantino?

It's that he doesn't try to hide the fact that his movies are movies. Every time I see a driving scene in one of his movies, especially Pulp Fiction, I love to see not only a fake backround, but a black and white fake background. Plus, the beginning music shifts from freaking Pipeline to Jungle Boogie once a black guy shows up. And, he includes lines like, "When you pulled in here, did you see a sign that said 'Dead Nigger Storage' in the driveway?." Now I don't give a shit usually when the N-word appears in movies or song (worst word ever, by the way, besides "boy"), but when a skinny white dude says it to a black guy - provocative at least. Quite ballsy, even for gen-exed desensitized little ol' me.


Yeah, I guess there's that whole thing that he's totally immersed and educated in his craft. Encyclopedic knowledge of history of film, etc. As a jazz musician, I dig the importance of that.

Well, that's twice in one night. That's what happens when Ryan doesn't work Saturday night, has cramming to do, drinks three cups of coffee, then beer, and three glasses of bourbon. Here's to life. If you don't love it, what's the fucking point?

1 comment:

KPL said...

Who needs Magic Mountain when you have coffee and beer?